Cleaning out a storage unit can be a physically and mentally grueling task. If you are planning on emptying your unit, whether to make more room, move locations, or get rid of things you don’t need, just thinking about it might be stressful. Here are a few useful tips that will make the process of cleaning out your unit as smooth as possible.
- Don’t Tackle It All at Once. Depending on what you have in your storage unit, you might need to divide the job into a few different trips. Plan your time accordingly! This way, the move is more manageable and you won’t be as overwhelmed. If you devote an entire day to cleaning out an especially full storage unit, you’ll quickly run out of steam.
- Ask for Help. Cleaning out a storage unit is a big job and often too much for one person to handle. Get together a team to help you out and create a game plan with a job for each helper. You’ll be most productive when everyone knows what they have to do. Eventually, you’ll get into the swing of things and before you know it, you’re done! Make sure to provide water and light snacks as you work, and remember, nothing says “thank you” like pizza!
- Take Inventory. Make sure nothing gets lost in the process of cleaning out when you make an inventory of all the items in the unit. Cross check the list regularly and re-label boxes for easy identification. This way, your belongings will be handled correctly and will stay safe during transfer.
- Leave It the Way You Found It. If you are moving all your belongings to another location, remember to clean your unit before you head off. Sweep or mop your unit, especially if it’s dusty or if it fell victim to some spills. Lastly, don’t leave anything behind, even if you don’t want or need it anymore.
- Plan Your Next Move. If you are moving your belongings to another storage facility, take advantage of offers like a full-size truck on your move-in day. Otherwise, arrange for a donation pick-up ahead of time or ensure you have a vehicle with enough space to transport your items. If none of these are an option, it might be best to do multiple trips instead of trying to stuff everything in one vehicle.
Follow these five tips and cleaning out your storage unit will be a lot easier. If you’re looking to upgrade to a more convenient and affordable climate-controlled storage unit, contact the storage professionals at Secure Self Storage and find the perfect solution for yourself today.