With the end of summer approaching, it’s time to say goodbye to fun days in the sun and get ready to close your pool for the season. It may be a sad transition, but if you do it right you’ll have another summer of pool-side fun next year! Here are five tips to help you prepare your pool for the cold months ahead!
- Don’t Rush It. Though it’s tempting and convenient to plan ahead, don’t let your calendar dictate your closing date. Even if you have stopped using your pool, you should wait until the temperature outside starts dropping before you close it. A closed and stagnant pool in hot weather conditions fosters algae growth, which will make it a pain to clean when it comes time to open it next summer.
- Drain Your Equipment. You don’t want your equipment freezing and cracking during the cold Canadian winter season, so make sure to rid them of excess water. Pool heaters, filters and pumps all have drain plugs to release built-up water; keep them unplugged until opening day to prevent moisture from getting trapped. Just make sure to keep the plugs in a safe place until then!
- Don’t Leave Problems Unsolved. Common problems like algae, rust, and clogged filters should be addressed and fixed before you leave your pool to sit during the winter months. The problems will only worsen over time, so make sure to resolve them before the cover goes on.
- Keep the Water Clear. Purchasing a pool closing and winterizing kit is the best way to easily test and prepare your water. The kit usually holds all the chemicals you need to prevent algae, freezing, and damage to filters, plus instructions on when and how to add them for best results.
- Clean Before You Cover. Before the cover goes on, it’s important to brush and vacuum the bottom and inside walls of the pool to prevent dirt build up. Don’t forget to take any ladders, ropes, toys, and diving boards out, dry them and put them in storage before you close.
Keep these five tips in mind and you’ll be thanking yourself when it comes time to open your pool again. If you need a place to put all your pool accessories and equipment during the harsh winter, contact the storage professionals at Secure Self Storage and find the perfect place to store until summertime comes back around.