There’s no way around it: Packing for a move is stressful and expensive. You never seem to realize how many clothes, books, and dishes you have until you’re forced to find boxes and bubble wrap for them. Your pantry and refrigerator always seemed empty, but now they’re chock-full of things to find a place for. There has to be a better way, right? There is! Follow these helpful moving hacks for a stress-free (or at least less stressful) moving day.
- Don’t get hung up on hangers. Have a closet full of clothes you need to wrestle off the hangers, fold, and pack? Not anymore! Simply put your clothes in a garbage bag while they’re still hanging, wrap a rubber band around the hangers and opening of the bag, and hang directly in your new closet. Bonus points for clear bags that allow you to see the contents.
- Skip seven years of bad luck. No broken mirrors here! Tape mirrors (and other flat breakables, like picture frames) in an X formation to absorb any shock. If you worry about your compact mirrors breaking, add some cotton ball padding.
- Dress up your dishware. Packing supplies are expensive; why not use what you already have? Use shirts to wrap your dishware and keep them from breaking, without breaking the bank on Styrofoam and padding.
- Keep your toiletry liquids to yourself. Few things are worse than opening up a moving box only to find out your shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, and body wash have leaked everywhere. Not only do you have a big mess on your hands, you’re also out of toiletries! To avoid this, remove the cap, put a small piece of plastic wrap over the opening, put the cap back on and go about your day.
- Make cardboard boxes mover friendly. Arms too short to comfortably carry boxes? Cut an upside-down triangle into the sides for instant handles. Just make sure you don’t make them too big, or your box too heavy, or you run the risk of the box ripping and breaking.
- Don’t underestimate the weight of words. How much could a paperback possibly weigh? A lot when there are 50 of them! Just because you can fit all of your books in a box doesn’t mean you can carry it. Give your back a break and put your books in a suitcase with wheels instead.
- Add some spice to your pots. Empty pots are the perfect place to store small kitchen items, like spices and other dry condiments. Stuff them full of your other kitchenware and double your space instantly!
- Put a sock in it. Don’t risk breaking your favorite wine glasses in the move—put them inside a sock and stuff the extra fabric in the glass. Socks are versatile for packing anything that would require additional padding.
- When it comes to folding, just roll with it. Believe it or not, your clothes are actually more compact when rolled versus when folded. Save some extra space while still avoiding a wrinkled wardrobe.
- Use oven mitts to not get your point across. Oven mitts aren’t just for keeping your hands safe from burns, they’re also a great way to keep everyone safe from accidental knife cuts! Simply put your loose knives in point-first and wrap a rubber band around the base of the mitt to secure them.
Now you know the packing secrets that will make moving a breeze, but what are you going to do with the things you don’t have space for yet? Contact the storage professionals at Secure Self Storage Canada for an affordable and convenient place to keep your belongings safe while you make room.